Main | our building | who we are | historic buildings | churches | Hyde Park History | monuments | parks | newsletters-The Big Wheel | HP Presbyterian Church | Tarzan | Ferriswheel | Paul Nitze | Ray

Hyde Park Monuments

The Fountain of Time, by Lorado Taft, marks the western end of the Midway. The huge sculpture, done in 1922, depicts a hooded figure observing a panorama of humanity. One of the figures is Lorado Taft himself. Marble was impractical in Chicago's climate, and bronze was too expensive, so the immense work was done in concrete aggregate. It is currently undergoing restoration and cannot be seen until the work is completed and the cover removed.



"Nuclear Energy," a bronze sculpture by Henry Moore, commemorates the first sustained nuclear reaction, in 1941, in the squash courts under the west stands of Stagg Field. Stagg Field has been replaced by Regenstein Library.

The sculpture marks the spot where the nuclear age began.








 

 



The statue of the Swedish naturalist
Linnaeus
,
who gave us our classifications of plants and animals,
stands on the Midway between Ellis and Woodlawn avenues.


At the eastern end of the Midway stands a large equestrian statue of a Bohemian knight, to honor Thomas Masaryk, the first president of Czechoslovakia.

 


Email

  Main | our building | who we are | historic buildings | churches | Hyde Park History | monuments | parks | newsletters-The Big Wheel | HP Presbyterian Church | Tarzan |

| Ferriswheel |